OUR PHILOSOPHY OF LEARNING
We believe that:
Clear thinking leads to good decisions,
Good decisions lead to the right habits,
The right habits lead to character, and
Character becomes destiny.
The purpose of our Spark Studio is:
- to foster academic, physical and emotional independence through developmentally appropriate works inspired by Maria Montessori;
- to spark curiosity through hands on experiences and play-based challenges, and;
- to equip learners for the next steps of their journey by applying the Hero’s Journey philosophy.
The purpose of our Discovery Studio is:
- to develop self-awareness and independence through reflective processes and freedom within boundaries;
- to discover a joy for learning through a balanced learning design, and;
- to ignite curiosity through a wide range of challenges and experiences.
- Parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
- Portfolios and the Journey Tracker (our internal goal-setting and tracking software) captures rough drafts, photos, and other creative work.
- Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real-world test.
At AANWA we utilize the latest in educational tools and technology for self-paced mastery of Core Skills (like reading, writing and math, etc.)
EXPERIENCE "A DAY IN THE LIFE" OF AN ACTON ACADEMY LEARNER
"Our daughter loves learning at Acton. She can’t wait to share her day the moment she jumps into the car. I’m so grateful to see a love for learning come back into her eyes."
"I would never have believed children could learn so much from each other – until I saw it with my own eyes. The lessons of self management and self governance have prepared our fifth grade son to be a lifelong learner.”
"Eagles play hard and work hard. Our daughter jumped seven grade levels in Math in two years, but there wasn’t any magic to it; just encouragement from her friends and lots of hard work.”